Friday, March 20, 2009

NABA Spring Training Experience - Day 1


My debut in men's baseball was a blast! I was a little nervous about how my teammates would react to having a girl on the team, but they were so cool. I played the entire game at second base (only the second time in my life that I've played there) and was able to make some key plays. I went 2 for 2 with two singles, two walks, and a couple of stolen bases. We wound up beating the Yankees 19-6.

My team is phenomenal! They're all pretty young and can crush the ball! These are 4 guys from my team:

I think we have a great chance to take the tournament. The ball is definitely hit a lot harder in men's baseball than in women's, so playing defense is a lot more fun and challenging.

There was a banquet dinner tonight - prime rib, mmmmmmm. I sat with my team and they told me they were bragging about me to the other teams and wanted to see me take the mound. That was a pleasant surprise.

I got to meet a lot of cool people tonight. Rollie Fingers was the surprise guest speaker, he had great stories to tell and was super nice. He signed my ball and took a picture with me.

Before the night was over, my manager came over and told me I'd be the starting pitcher tomorrow! Wow, I wasn't expecting that! After seeing the guys on our team pitch, I didn't think I'd take the mound at all this tournament. Our pitchers were awesome today, and I just hope I'm able to hold my own. I'll have great defense behind me, so as long as I keep the hitters off-balance and pitch the corners, I should be fine. An exciting day lies ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment