Thursday, February 12, 2009

Goodbye San Francisco, Hello Hong Kong!



I had two more great training days in San Francisco and was having so much fun I almost didn't want to leave, but the tournament was calling, so I said goodbye to SF and hopped a plane to HK with my teammate Kelly. It was a long 14.5 hour flight. The plane wasn't terribly comfortable, but it did have good movies. We finally landed and took a cab to the Newton Hotel.

I met three more of my teammates there - Tiff, Amy, and Sam - and we went downstairs to breakfast. The Aussie Hearts were there so we exchanged some hellos then scoped out the area. As luck would have it, there was a huge park right across the street from us, so we gathered our gear and headed over for our first semi-team practice. There were a lot of gawkers who couldn't believe there were American women playing baseball in their park.

Things were going pretty good until the park authorities came and told us we had to move to the other side of the park. We graciously obliged. This happened about 4 more times so it was starting to get annoying. A woman spoke to Tiff and almost had a breakdown, saying we were too dangerous and might hit a jogger. It was pretty funny.

We wrapped up our practice and went back to the hotel. Tiff, Kelly, and I went to a restaurant for dinner. We were trying to stay awake to overcome jet lag. I finally couldn't hang and retired around 10pm Hong Kong time. My roommate Robin arrived around 11pm. I groggily said "hi" and was out like a light. I slept pretty well but I'm pretty certain jet leg will hit me big tonight. We're hoping to get an uninterrupted practice in today. The rest of the team has arrived, so we'll get to see how we play together. Should be fun!

1 comment: